1. In the pink: it’s incredibly important to apply for health insurance if you’re moving out to the states. Unlike in the UK; the healthcare is not free in America. Heed the warning; if you do require medical attention and haven’t taken out insurance, the bills can be very expensive.
2. Social Security Numbers: Known as a SSN, it is vital to have a social security number to live or work in the states. Apply for this in advance.
3. Furry Friends: If you decide to bring your pets with you to the states, it’s imperativethat they are vaccinated to be allowed entry into the country. All animals that are being imported into the country are inspected at the ports of entry. Speak to your removal company about this as they will be able to refer you to specialist organisations who deal with shipping pets abroad.
4. On the Road: It is not uncommon for people to take their cars as well as their household goods with them when emigrating to America. There is paperwork to be completed to declare the emissions and safety standards of the vehicle; namely EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7. Any reputable, international moving company will be able to advise you on these requirements.
5. Money, Money, Money: A really useful tip when moving to the states or to anywhere abroad, is to make use of a currency company to transfer your money. Trying to do this without a currency company can casue you to incur unnecessary expense.