How to reduce the stress of your office move
Moving house is still thought to be one of the most stressful events in life. Therefore, if you run your own or work for a small business the thought of an office move can be terrifying. Whether you are going it yourself or leaving it to the experts of a full packing and removals service, we can provide you with tips to help reduce the stress of the run up to the big day of moving business premises.
The relocation of your business premises can start weeks and even months in advance depending upon the size of your business and the amount you are moving. Everyone in the business is likely to be affected by the relocation in some way and getting all tasks completed in advance and as soon as possible will help you to reduce the number of last minute jobs and to remain calm. Here are our 5 top tips for keeping calm on moving day.
1) Do your research and get recommendations for an experienced office removal company. You may do some of your own packing but it is best left to professionals to help protect your items and physical lifting and moving will ensure the health and safety of your staff.
2) Get quotes from the recommended removal companies but ensure that your quotes offer the same level of service so that they are comparable, although it makes economical sense to go for the cheapest, getting value for money and high levels of service will give you a better move and a less stressful day.
3) Make sure you have accurate and detailed measurements of your new business premises, remembering to include any door openings, staircases, lifts, windows. Also look if you have suitable access into your building and look for and note down any awkward turns on landings which may present problematic for larger equipment and furniture. By knowing this in advance your move will run even smoother.
4) You may wish to draw up a floor plan for your new office showing where the equipment and furniture you are taking will now be located and deciding which office space will be occupied by which staff members. It may be important to include employees on the discussions for allocated offices and workstations to ensure that everyone is happy and to save you having to rearrange again!
5) Be sure to contact your phone and utilities companies and Internet Service Providers to forewarn them of your move. Put a backup plan in place in the event that phone lines and internet connections are not available on the day. You could also think about asking members of staff to work from home where possible.
6) It is essential that if any cupboards or shelves are part of the fixtures and fittings of the old premises that you make sure there is equivalent storage in your new premises. It can often be surprising how much room is taken up by files and general office supplies and a larger premises does not mean more storage space. You may wish to put old documents and furniture into storage to help save on room.
Are you relocating business? Here at Burke Bros, we can take the stress out of your business move, with a professional service and over 30 years experience in office moves. Call us today on 01902 714555.