Wolverhampton | Birmingham | London | Cambridge | Rugby | Coventry & Warwick | Bridgnorth

Worldwide - Movers - Storers - Shippers

We are open for business and taking enquiries. For further information on our adherence to Covid19 protocol, please see our news page.

Wolverhampton : 01902 714555

Birmingham : 0121 444 1885

London : 0207 937 1999

Rugby : 01788 541044

Coventry & Warwick : 024 7663 2501

Bridgnorth : 01746 336041

Email : sales@burkebros.co.uk


Moving to Canada Part 2: Quarantine, Customs and Excise

During our 35 years of establishment, we have moved hundreds of families and individuals to all over Canada and find most of our customers take most, if not all of their household effects. This often proves to be the most economical and often the least stressful solution as it avoids customers having to replace everything once they are in their new residence.

With their strictly enforced quarantine clearance procedures you need the advice and guidance of export packing experts in the UK to ensure you comply with all the Canadian regulations if you’re planning a move to Canada. It will save you a great deal of heartache if you make the correct preparation in the UK rather than when you reach your Canadian overseas destination.

There are several documents that you will need to ship your items to Canada, the importer’s first declaration should be made at the airport upon arrival, where they will complete a B4E form, together with a copy of their packing list. This should include make, model and serial number of all electrical items. Other required documents include, copy of passport and immigration papers, purchase receipts or proof of value for any items under six months old and a descriptive inventory of goods in English.

All used household and personal effects being imported into Canada are duty free provided they have been owned and used by the importer for at least 6 months prior to importation, while returning former residents must also have lived outside Canada for more than 12 months. Seasonal residents are allowed a one-time entry of effects and cannot dispose of any goods for a year and will have to hold a property deed or rental agreement.

Personal attendance during Customs clearance by the importer is mandatory and should begin with completion of a Border Declaration of ‘goods to follow’ at the airport on arrival (B4E). Once goods arrive a second Personal Declaration at Customs will be required.

Prohibited items include:
• Narcotics, hallucinogens, amphetamines, barbiturates and tranquillisers
• Foodstuffs of any type, herbs, spices
• Plants, soil, seeds
• Skins, hides, ivory and feathers
• Bones, horns and tusks

Canada is a signatory to the CITES agreement that controls trade and movement of endangered species.

Restricted items or items likely to attract interest:
• Alcohol and tobacco will attract tax and duties at a high level, best to avoid inclusion where possible- import declaration is required from the Provincial Liquor Control Board, list of type, make, percentage and volume must be submitted if included.
• Firearms- full weapon details and copies of licenses required. A firearm permit is required, this should be applied for in advance from the Canadian Firearms centre in Ottawa.

For any further information on our services to Canada please contact us on 01902 714555 or on sales@burkebros.co.uk.

January 9th, 2017 | Categories: Blog