Wolverhampton: 01902714555 | Birmingham: 01214441885 | London: 02079371999 | Rugby: 01788541044
| Coventry & Warwick: 02476632501 | Bridgnorth: 01746233119

Recent News

Moving to Canada: Your questions answered

Jan 03. 2017


As international removals specialists, Burke Bros Moving Group have conducted hundreds of moves to and from Canada. Here we answer some of the most commonly asked questions:

1. How are my personal effects packed?
The most important thing is to know that your belongings are packed safely and ready to be moved, and that they arrive in Canada in the same condition they left the UK in. All international movers should have overseas trained packers to make sure the standard of packing is the same throughout. All fragile items are wrapped in individual recycled paper or bubble wrap. Export strength cartons are used and cases are sometimes made for certain items. Special linen cartons and book cartons are used as well as hanging garment boxes, if preferred. Other considerations are tailor made crates for pianos, clocks, glass cabinets, as well as specially constructed frames/crates for shipping scooters and motorbikes.

2. How will my possessions be moved?
As you’re shipping your personal effects to Canada, you’ll either need your own 20 feet or 40 feet overseas shipping container, or you can reduce your costs by sharing a container with someone else who’s shipping there items to the same Canadian port, where you only pay for the space your personal possessions and belongings use within the container, otherwise known as a part load or groupage service. Part loads can sometimes be useful if you want to split your possessions, shipping your higher priority, and more immediately-needed, items first, then shipping your less pressing items, things you don’t need so urgently, at a later date.

Your removals company will usually arrive to pack and wrap all the items ready for shipment, along with any items which need to be allocated to go into storage. All the packed boxes and wrapped furniture will be ready for the day the container arrives and they will be carefully loaded. The inventory will be checked, ready for the container to be locked and sealed and driven away on its journey to the UK port.

3. What arrangements should I make for insurance?
Make sure your moving company offers marine insurance. Customers should be aware that products such as extended or standard liability are not insurance and can leave you disadvantaged. Just in case things do go wrong, it is still highly advisable that you take out sufficient insurance cover for your entire move. Make sure you are covered for both your goods, as well as the cost of the shipment itself, if required. A comprehensive door to door cover is best.

For any further information on shipping your personal effects to Canada, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01902 714555 or by sales@burkebros.co.uk

Associations and Accreditations

Quick Links