Packing tips: where to start?
You don’t need to leave everything to the day before your house move. Consider what you don’t need to take with you, what will need careful packing, and that you are covered for potential breakages and if you will organise a professional mover to help with the larger furniture items.
- Make a priority packing list
- Take some time to sift through your belongings and have a clear-out. You can make up a box for charity and if you’ve time, hold a car boot sale or log onto an online auction, then put the proceeds of your sold goods towards some re-decorating or a new carpet.
- Calculate how many boxes you will need and get these well in advance. Find boxes in a variety of sizes. Think about what else will be useful, such as strong tape, bubble wrap, and self-seal bags for keeping nuts and bolts together. Save old newspapers for lining boxes.
- Don’t completely fill large boxes, as they will be too heavy to move.
- Use sturdy packing boxes, particularly for heavier items, or your belongings may end up strewn all over the pavement. Boxes made from corrugated cardboard are stronger than regular ones. You can usually find these at supermarkets, off-licences or large retail stores, but make sure that they are clean.
- You may wish to find and gather quotes from reputable moving companies to help you with your heavier, specialist items or any larger pieces of furniture or you may have them pack fragile items that require care.
- Check that your contents insurance will cover damage and breakages during the move as many do not cover items that have been personally packed only if they have been professionally packed.
- Put all hazardous materials, such as paint, bleach and aerosols, into a separate box and keep them away from the rest of your stuff.
For more tips on packing check our full moving home checklist. You may need help from a professional moving company to help your move. Call Burke Bros Moving Group for competitive quotes contact us on 01902 714555 or email email@example.com.