Wolverhampton: 01902714555 | Birmingham: 01214441885 | London: 02079371999 | Rugby: 01788541044
| Coventry & Warwick: 02476632501 | Bridgnorth: 01746233119

Recent News

Shipping motor vehicles and motorcycles into New Zealand

Jun 30. 2017

We understand that many of our customers moving out to New Zealand wish to take their vehicles with them. The importation of motor vehicles and motorcycles into New Zealand is highly regulated process. There are a number of requirements you’d need to be aware of from a number of key government departments.

Before Shipping
Motor vehicles and motorcycles must meet applicable safety and emissions requirements to be allowed for importation. You must also have proof of entitlement of the vehicle, and standards compliance at origin. It is advisable that you visit the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) website to obtain the most up to date information and factsheets as these often prove to be very useful. We emphasise that it is vital you ensure your vehicle meets the requirements before considering shipping to New Zealand.

After Arrival
Motor vehicles and motorcycles will need to be cleared with NZ Customs. Depending on your residential status and length of ownership of your vehicle you may be able to import it free of ‘Goods and Services Tax’. Further information on this can be found on the New Zealand Transport Agency website.

The Ministry for Primary Industries will then ensure the vehicle is clean and free of any potential quarantine risk material by conducting a physical internal and external biosecurity inspection. (This is a service that we will arrange for you as part of our process, however if any risk material is found in or on your motor vehicle, motorcycle or trailer then additional cleaning services may be required and incur additional expenses.)

Border Inspection
All motor vehicles will need to have their particulars verified including, make, model, VIN or chassis and have the odometer reading checked. This process will be conducted through a border structural inspection in order to check for any structural and water damage. This will be conducted by Independent Verification Services Limited (IVS) and the results will be submitted to the New Zealand Transport Agency.

Finally, all motor vehicles and motorcycles must undergo an entry certification process. This is carried out by an entry certifier to verify that it meets safety and emission standards. It also considers whether the vehicle/ motorcycle is in general good condition, decide if it needs any repairs or specialist certification, and arrange warrant of fitness (WOF) and registration.

For any further information on shipping vehicles or household effects to any area in New Zealand, please don’t hesitate to contact our International Department on 01902 714555 or email sales@burkebros.co.uk.

Associations and Accreditations

Quick Links