Wolverhampton: 01902714555 | Birmingham: 01214441885 | London: 02079371999 | Rugby: 01788541044
| Coventry & Warwick: 02476632501 | Bridgnorth: 01746233119

Recent News

International Removals and Applying for a Transfer of Residence

Nov 01. 2022

If you’re moving to the UK from overseas and bringing household effects into the UK, there will be some documentation that is necessary for you to complete before the move can take place. You will need to complete a Transfer of Residence form (ToR01) and this is submitted to UK HMRC (His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.) No matter whether it’s household effects, pets or motor vehicles that you’re bringing into the UK, a ToR01 form will be necessary.

What information will I need to complete the form?

You will need:
An inventory of the items that you’re bringing into the UK
A copy of your passport and a copy of your visa if that’s applicable.
Proof of the address that you’re moving from and your new address in the UK that you’re set to move to.
Proof of the move. You can use, for example a job offer/ contract or a property rental contract.
Animal health certificate or pet passport (if applicable.)
Vehicle details (if applicable.)

What are the timeframes for approval process of the ToR01 form?

The time taken to process the ToR01 form is usually around four weeks but this can be up to six weeks. Be advised that if there are documents missing it will result in further delays.

Once the form has been processed, HMRC will provide a reference number which you will need to supply to the international removals company who are co-ordinating your move. They will then be able to ensure that your effects clear customs upon arrival in the UK.
If your ToR form hasn’t been processed before your shipment arrives in the UK, your goods will not be able to clear customs. This will have implications and cause extra charges for storage and for demurrage at the port. This is why it’s important to make the application well in advance and obtain the HMRC reference number prior to shipping your effects to the UK.

How do I go about making a transfer of residence application?

The following link will take you to the UK government website, where you can apply directly: ToR01 form

Where do I turn for help with the ToR01 form?

A professional international moving company will be able to assist you in the moving of your household effects and or vehicles into (and out of) the UK. As part of this, they will be able to support on the Transfer of Residence application as well as all of the other customs requirements necessary to move you possessions into the UK. International moves require expertise and experience, making it even more pertinent to choose a reputable professional international moving company.

Contact the Burke Bros International Team on 01902 714555 or via sales@burkebros.co.uk for further information.

Associations and Accreditations

Quick Links